Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Thrill of the Win

I get caught up in winning. I feel like I have grown up a little bit and I'm not quite as fiercely competitive as I once was. I can now play games on teams where the rest of the team is slacking and control myself to the point of not losing friends over the situation. However, every once in a while I just get caught up in it. It is why Vegas was borderline not fun for me. Too much losing and not enough winning.

Well at the Youth Encouragement Services auction I won nothing I wanted. Do you see the term "I"? There was no "we" at this event there was only "I" and I wanted to win. However, not a single thing that I wanted to win went home with us. I really wanted the Southwest vouchers and bid $15 over their value but I was able to walk away. Luckily I didn't get sucked in because they went for about $150 over the value and then that wouldn't have made what comes next possible.

Just before the end of the auction they cut the starting bid on all remaining items left with no bids and let me just say when it comes to a deal and winning "I WILL WIN." I feel no shame in saying after that announcement I was the first one out the door.

So instead of a DVD set, a Kroger gift card and a Southwest Voucher we went home with about 20 things.

Including but not limited to:
Scuba lessons/certification for Joshua and I both
Business headshot for Joshua
2 oil changes
Haircut
2 Christmas presents that shall remain nameless
Tickets to the Frist for clients
2 months membership to a gym

So #1 I got to win a LOT of stuff and #2 our money went to help kids and support a ministry we are involved in. Seems like a Win/Win to me.

No comments: